Software to create and automate labels, barcodes and more
Designed for businesses that want to increase efficiency by automating their printing, the BarTender®Automation Edition offers the full power of Intelligent TemplatesTM plus the ability to launch printing from other programs.
Keep your business moving with reliable automated printing
BarTender® Automation leverages conditional printing, our exclusive Intelligent TemplatesTM and printing from other business systems to increase system flexibility and reduce maintenance.
Powerful integration with business systems
Integration Builder and Administration Console together provide powerful control over creating and managing your system integrations. Create highly customizable integrations to seamlessly connect BarTender’s printing capabilities with virtually any enterprise business operation.
Intelligent Templates for unmatched versatility and control
- Leverage conditional printing to create a wide variety of labels from a single design, without the headache of maintaining a separate document for each label.
- Easily support complex printing scenarios by telling templates, layers and even individual objects when to print based on a single data source or database field, or based on multiple conditions — all without scripting.
- Lock mandatory content so it cannot be changed by other designers.
- Print content to specific panels of security cards, including monochrome black, UV fluorescing, and overlay panels.
BarTender Automation also offers all the powerful yet easy-to-use design features of the Professional Edition:
- Let BarTender’s smart wizards guide you through critical design decisions to maximize your printing performance and compliance with important standards.
- Use your own fonts or those built into the printer.
- Generate anything from simple serial numbers to advanced custom serialization sequences.
- Format text any way you want with Rich Text formatting.
- Enhance imported graphics with high-quality image-processing controls, including brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, sharpness, smoothing and cropping.
- Recreate legacy labels easily by importing old designs to use as a guide.
- Link to external graphics to enable dynamic changes.
Additional security and printing management
- Integrate with other software for basic automated control.
- Manage user permissions and encrypt documents.
- View printer status and reprint previous jobs.
Visual Basic Script Editor for easy management
The VB Script Editor enables you to easily navigate between different scripts in your document; access supported code snippets to help you when writing your own code; access application-specific VB Script objects, properties and functions; and more.
Professional printing flexibility
- Minimize print-time data entry by letting BarTender pull data from Excel files, text files and a wide variety of databases. Or design your own forms for entering data easily at print time.
- Easily select, preview and print labels and cards from a dedicated Print Station interface.
- Print multiple label formats as a single batch, whether from BarTender, the dedicated BarTender Print Station or even the Windows Explorer.
- Print to any true Windows printer driver, and use our free Drivers by Seagull to leverage the special features of label and card printers for optimal performance.
Free support whenever and wherever you need it
Our global offices combine to provide free phone and e-mail support for all BarTender editions 24 hours a day, every business day.
Move up to the ultimate in control and automation
BarTender enables you to easily upgrade your system as your business grows, without the extra cost and complexity of buying add-on products.
Move up to the Enterprise Automation Edition for complete control and automation of even the most complex business printing environment.
See the quick edition selector below or the detailed feature list for more details.
Try BarTender now, free, for 30 days
Download the free 30-day trial to explore the features of all four BarTender editions and see how it can solve your toughest needs for labeling, barcoding and more. Or contact us to learn more about why BarTender is the most trusted software of its kind.
Includes over 400 preformatted, ready-to-use barcode components based on 95 barcode symbologies and more than a dozen barcode standards. Also includes a large number of sample compliance label designs.
Included barcode symbologies
Linear Barcodes: Codabar, Code 39 (Full ASCII and Regular), Code 93, Code 128, EAN-8, EAN-13 (with and without 2 and 5 digit add-ons), GS1-128, GS1 DataBar (formerly RSS, all four non-stacked variants), Interleaved 2-of-5, ITF-14, JAN-8, JAN-13 (with and without 2 and 5 digit add-ons), MSI Plessey, RSS (see GS1 DataBar), Telepen, Trioptic, UPC-A (with and without 2 and 5 digit add-ons), UPC-E (with and without 2 and 5 digit add-ons)
2D, Matrix, and Stacked Symbols: Aztec Code, Data Matrix, GS1 Composite (13 variants), GS1 DataBar (formerly RSS, 3 stacked variants), GS1 DataMatrix, GS1 QR, MaxiCode, Micro QR Code, MicroPDF417, PDF417, QR Code, RSS (see GS1 DataBar), iQR
Postal and Shipping Barcodes: Australia Post, Canadian Customs, Japanese Post, KIX Code, Royal Mail, UPS MaxiCode, USPS Intelligent Mail, USPS Planet, USPS Postnet
Included barcode standards
GS1 Coupons, GS1 Distribution, GS1 General Applications, GS1 Health Care – Non-retail, GS1 Health Care – Retail, GS1 Pharmaceutical, GS1 Retail – General Distribution, GS1 Retail – Non-general Distribution, HIBC (Primary and Secondary), ISBT, TLC (39 and MicroPDF417), DUN, UPS Tracking Number, Design barcodes for almost any other standard using BarTender.
Included label standards
AIAG, Caterpillar, DoD, GHS, GM 1724-A, HIBC, MIL 129 and 1189B (LOGMARS), ODETTE, Oracle WMS, Sears, Wal-Mart, SAP AII, SSCC, TLC, UPS, USPS (includes FIM A and FIM C). You can also design labels for almost any other standard using BarTender.
Included data format standards
Encode text using almost any data format, including support for Unicode, ASCII, Western, Japanese, Chinese, or any other character encoding, including custom formats. BarTender also has predefined barcode components with built-in support for the following data format standards: GTIN-8 (for EAN-8, JAN-8, and UPC-E barcode components); GTIN-12 (for UPC-A barcode components); GTIN-13 (for EAN-13 and JAN-13 barcode components); GTIN-14 (formerly EAN-14 and SCC-14; for GS1 barcode components that use the (01) application identifier, for GS1 DataBar components, and for ITF-14 components); SCC-18 (for GS1 barcode components that use the (00) application identifier).
RFID tag types and data formats
EPC Gen2, EPC Class 1, ISO 18000-6b, ISO 15693, Tag-It, I-CODE, TagSys, My-d, and Picotag tag types. All EPC data formats are supported, including DoD, Wal-Mart, SGTIN, SSCC, GIAI, GID, GRAI, and SGLN, among others.
International editions can switch the UI on demand between 23 languages: Chinese (Simplified & Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese (European & Brazilian), Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai and Turkish.
System requirements and compatibility
- Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 and Vista.
- Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2, Server 2008 and 2008 R2.
- Includes all 32-bit and 64-bit (x64) editions.
Hard disk and memory (minimum)
- Basic and Professional Editions (32-bit)
- 1 GB RAM
- 2 GB free hard drive space
- Basic and Professional Editions (64-bit)
- 2 GB RAM
- 3 GB free hard drive space
- Automation and Enterprise Automation Editions (32-bit)
- 4 GB RAM
- 20 GB free hard drive space (to allow sufficient space for logs)
- Automation and Enterprise Automation Editions (64-bit)
- 8 GB RAM
- 20 GB free hard drive space (to allow sufficient space for logs)
Display resolution (recommended)
1024 x 768 or higher
The .NET Framework 4.0 is required. The BarTender installer will automatically install all required .NET Framework components.
Logging of print jobs and event messages requires either
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express (included with BarTender), or
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or higher (purchased from a database vendor)